A Travellerspoint blog


Laura - Wednesday 24th August 1977

I didn't sleep too well last night and I think I might have caught the wog that is going around. I felt really sick in the stomach, but I didn’t vomit or have diarrhoea. I heard Cathy Cleary, the nurse, get up so I went to the toilet with her at about 2 o’clock. I didn’t sleep much after that. I had to get up at 6.30 because Group 4 is cooking. I didn’t feel like much breakfast. Again we didn’t leave until past 9 o’clock. Sue, Stick, Pete and I went in Marshall’s car. It was recall good as Marshall is funny. We ate tons of biscuits, chocolate etc. The biros are always different colours because it is very difficult to find a biro. We were ahead of the truck and a couple of other vehicles and stopped at Musgrave. We bought more chocolates and drinks and I age 2 Cherry Ripes. I am also peeling all over my legs and stomach. We stopped at this river for lunch but we weren’t very hungry because we had eaten so much rubbish. Sue and I thought we saw a crocodile in the water, but we can’t be sure. The roads have improved a lot - they are no longer tracks but gravel roads. In places we could travel at 55 mph.

We arrived in Laura early, at about 3.00. We went to the pub and played pool and there was this drunk aboriginal woman called Hazel who was talking to us. I bought another film in the general store and some barrier cream which was the first sort of moisturiser which was sold from Bamaga south. Also at Musgrave there was an army convoy of some 40 trucks and we had to overtake them all twice. We went down to the Laura river and set up camp. Again we are sleeping outside. I was on cooking and we made this yummy stew. Brian Cronk and the Ushers didn’t reach the campsite until after dark, because the Cronk mobile kept on breaking down. I was feeling a bit sick and didn’t have dinner. At 7.45 Marshall drove us and a few others to Laura to make phone calls. I rang up Brad and it was really good to talk to him. I then rang up reverse charges from the pub and spoke for about 12 minutes. There were some drunk aboriginal women who were trying to win onto some of the guys.

Posted by hillbillyramsey 17:00 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.